- How effective are the lessons? Will my child improve after attending laoshi’s course?
- I saw “correction time” on your class timetable. What is “correction time” meant for?
- Why are the lessons inclined towards exams?
- Will the lessons instil interest or confidence in the Chinese Language?
- How is lesson paced?
About LuLaoshi Teaching Style
To make our lessons work, we cannot extensively compromise on the lack of learning or efforts. ‘Wake-up’ calls are scheduled periodically to keep students from slacking. We do nag at students to put in better efforts. Laoshi enlists parents’ home support to manage their children more appropriately.
- How to handle the situation when child hasn’t adapted to classroom climate?
Poorly adapted students may be ‘disobedient’ and ‘uncooperative’. They might resist instructions and insist on working in their own pace and comfort. If speaking more loudly and clearly doesn’t work, Laoshi will seek parents’ assistance to reinforce our instructions. Where necessary, Laoshi may issue Incident Reports to highlight the issue and require parents to take action. Parents and teacher should share the common goal of inculcating good working habits on the children. Incident Reports are not disciplinary reports.
For the Students
- Is this any homework given?
- How can my child stay in focus?
- What are the expectations of the student?
For the Parents
- How am I updated on the child’s progress?
Parents are encouraged to read the feedback, as it contains suggestions which parents can do together with the children in order to accelerate their learning progress.
Should there be incidents which require attention, Incident Reports will be issued, and student will be issued a Reflection Form to show parents his explanation of the incident.
- Under what circumstances will Laoshi issue an Incident Report?
- What should I do if my child receives an Incident Report?
- What is happening if my child keeps receiving Incident Reports?
- What is my role in managing my child?
- What is my role in helping my child?
On Administrative, Payment and All Other Matters
- What happens if I am unable to attend a class?
make necessary arrangements so that your child is able to attend the classes. All lessons are chargeable. Students may sit in the same lesson in other classes as make-up. In the event that this is not possible, notes will be kept for your child to collect following lesson.
- What do I need to do to sign up for the course?
- What do I need to pay for the course?
- Placement Fees: Placement fees are charged to reserve place with Laoshi. They are non-refundable and non-deductible in any case. If the class is full, placement fees will take the place of waitlist fees. Placement fees are only refundable when we are unable to offer a place for the student after one-month wait from the receipt of placement fees.If placement fees are refunded, it is deemed that the student has withdrawn from the waitlist.
- Deposit: A $50 per course Deposit is due on the first lesson for the entire course. Deposit is non-refundable but it is deductible from the last payment on exiting the course. Thus, one cycle’s notice (i.e. four lessons) is required to deduct the deposit from the course.
- Course Fees: Course fees are due on the first lesson of the year and every last lesson of each cycle. Parents are required to pay the cycle’s fees on the last lesson of the previous cycle.
- For some reason, I am unable to continue with MyLuLaoshi Strategic Course. How can I withdraw from the course? Can I get my deposit back?
- Are there discounts given?
- Bundle discount is given if you sign up both Oral & Compo and Main Paper courses
- Follow-up discount is given if you continue with Laoshi across the academic year
- Sibling discount is given if you have a younger sibling studying with Laoshi at the same time as the older sibling.
- Does Laoshi need to interview or assess my child before accepting him/her?
If you feel that your child has a gap to fill in Chinese, you may consider joining our Tutorial Courses on Mondays and Wednesdays evenings.
- What if I have any other questions?